Compensation in case of delay
Punctuality is something in which we pride ourselves. Therefore, if we arrive late, you are in a position to request a compensation.
To request a compensation for delay, you need to submit your claim within 3 months after the date of travel. Compensations are offered for delays of at least 30 minutes and the minimal compensation amount is €4.
We do everything possible to make sure the journey times are respected. We are legally required to compensate for late arrivals of over 1 hour and to reimburse up to a maximum of 50% of the ticket price. However, Thalys compensates a delay starting from 30 minutes and sometimes reimburses up to 100%, according to the rules for compensation listed below.
What can you expect in compensation?
The compensation that you will receive will be in the form of a voucher, an e-voucher or a bank transfer. To request compensation, you need to complete the compensation form online.
Consult the FAQ list below to understand what form and what level of compensation you are entitled to depending on the delay.
For more complete information, we recommend you consult our General Transport Terms & Conditions.
What are the rules for compensation ?
We offer several compensation alternatives according to the nature and duration of the delay.
1. The delay is not attributable to Thalys.
In accordance with the European Regulation on the Rights and Obligations of Rail Travellers, we offer you a compensation worth:
- 25% of the ticket price for a delay of 60 minutes or more.
- 50% of the ticket price for a delay of 120 minutes or more.
Compensation will be given in the form of paper vouchers or e-Vouchers, or by simple request, of a bank transfer.
2. The delay is attributable to Thalys.
For any delay equal to or greater than 30 minutes attributable to Thalys, we offer you a greater compensation:
- 20% of the ticket price for a delay of 30 minutes or more.
- 50% of the ticket price for a delay of 60 minutes or more.
- 100% of the ticket price for a delay of 120 minutes or more.
Compensation will be given in the form of paper vouchers or e-Vouchers. For delays of over 60 minutes, you may claim a compensation by bank transfer. In this case, the percentages provided for by the European Regulation will apply: 25% of the ticket price for a delay of 60 minutes or more and 50% of the ticket price for a delay of 120 minutes or more.
Should you still not be satisfied, you may contact:
- The ombudsman of SNCF Mobilités online or in writing at the following address: Médiateur SNCF Mobilités, TSA 49980, 75839 PARIS CEDEX 17, France
- Ombudsrail (the mediation service of the Belgian Railways) via this form, by phone at 0800 25 095 or in writing at the following address: Ombudsrail - Boulevard Roi Albert II 8 boîte 5, 1000 Brussels.
Nothing is more important for our staff than to meet our commitments.