Thalys mobilized for the health safety of its passengers
The safety, well-being and health of our customers and employees are at the heart of Thalys’ concerns.
In this unprecedented crisis and before the gradual resumption of our activities, Thalys has decided to take strict health and safety measures. They apply in all our trains, on every journey, for all destinations served.
"After almost eight weeks of confinement, we are all impatient to move around more freely. As an international carrier, we have an important responsibility. This is why we have decided to make three commitments to our customers and employees in order to gradually resume our services:
- maximum safety, through the compulsory wearing of masks and respect for barrier gestures,
- maximum hygiene thanks to a thorough, reinforced cleaning routine of all areas on board our trains,
- maximum support and protection, through the mobilization of all our teams and employees for our customers.
These commitments are a priority for all of us." said Bertrand Gosselin, CEO of Thalys.
Since 4 May, Thalys requires all passengers on board its trains throughout its network to wear masks ("general public" masks). Customers who are not wearing masks are not authorized onboard our trains.
Verification of the ticket, the wearing of the mask and the possession of an international travel certificate, which is a derogation for passengers travelling to France, are carried out at the time of boarding.
To protect both, our customers and employees, Thalys encourages everyone to adopt barrier gestures:
- Avoid contact with other passengers.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Use disposable wipes and tissues.
- Stay at your seat and limit moving around in the train during your journey.
- Maintain a safe distance of at least 1.5 m.
In addition, Thalys provides the necessary facilities for washing your hands in the toilets of its trains.
Finally, by limiting the number of passengers on our trains and ensuring an appropriate allocation of seats in each car, Thalys intends to reinforce all of the above-mentioned measures.
A thorough cleaning and preventive disinfection routine of all areas on board our trains are carried out every time the train arrives at the station or in the workshop, i.e. several times a day.
Reinforced cleaning on board our trains
The surfaces preventive disinfection measures particularly focus on, are:
- Passenger areas: shelves, door handles, ventilation grills under windows, blind bars, bin lids.
- Sanitary facilities: all surfaces (toilets, washbasins, ventilation grids).
- Platforms: handrails, door handles, push buttons, bin lids, service telephones, glass surfaces.
- Bar area: tables, push buttons, door handles, bin lids, ventilation grills under windows.
Personnel mobilized to support and protect our customers
Since the first days of the Covid-19 confinement measures, Thalys has raised awareness and trained all its employees to adopt barrier gestures. A health watch for all employees was set up in March.
For the protection of its employees, Thalys has provided them with masks. At boarding, bollard devices fitted with protective glass have been installed. In addition, should a customer present Covid-19 symptom on board a Thalys, the Train Manager could isolate them by providing a surgical mask. The Train Manager would also immediately inform the company's Operations Centre, which would coordinate the information of the competent health authorities.